Vacation accrued but not taken by the employee's anniversary date that exceeds two years accrued vacation leave shall be lost; unless a written request is submitted to the City Manager to carry over hours exceeding the maximum.. return to top
Secs. 2-216.04 Use
(a) Vacation time may be taken only in full hour or shift increments.
(b) Subject to subsection (c) below, accrued vacation may be used with prior approval of the Department Head for the following purposes:
- Approved vacation.
- Absences for transacting personal business which cannot be conducted during off-duty hours.
- Religious holidays other than those designated by the City as official holidays.
- For uncompensated approved absences due to medical or dental or optical reasons once paid sick leave has been exhausted.
- Any approved uncompensated leave of absence, including leave under the FMLA.
- Employees who become sick on vacation leave may use sick leave for such period of illness (full days only) but must present a doctor's certificate and will be given another vacation day or pay at the option of the City.
(c) Vacation pay may be used to supplement Workers' Compensation approved leave; providing the total week compensation received from all City sources by the employee, including Workers' Compensation, shall be no more than forty (40) times the employee's straight time hourly rate of pay.
(d) Except at termination, the employee cannot be compensated for vacation time during a period in which the employee was not absent from work in a vacation status for the number of hours compensated with vacation time. return to top
Secs. 2-216.05 Scheduling
Subject to operational needs:
(a) Scheduling of vacation time shall be approved by the Department Head.
(b) For that portion of scheduled leave that is vacation, a minimum of one (1) week advance request is required. Emergency requests for vacation leave may be granted unless scheduling or work commitments preclude permitting the leave.
(c) Where two (2) or more employees request the same vacation period, the employee with the most City seniority will be given preference; provided, where a junior employee's vacation time has already been approved it will not be changed without his agreement to accommodate a more senior employee. return to top
Secs. 2-216.06 Pay Out
(a) Employees who have more than six months service with the City and leave in good standing shall be paid accrued but unused vacation pay upon cessation of their employment.
- With the exception of the employee hired on July 26, 1968 pay out of accrued and unused vacation leave shall not be granted prior to cessation of employment. This provision shall create no precedent as to any other employee.
(b) In no event will an employee be allowed to take vacation in conjunction with termination, i.e., to extend the termination date.
(c) In the event of an employee's death, his beneficiary shall be paid for accrued vacation. return to top