City of Lake Wales Florida
Business Community Leisure Environment Government Public Safety Transportation Utilities Visiting
City of Lake Wales, Florida Fire Department
LWFD
ISO Class 3
Big Dog
History

Old Fire Station

The Lake Wales Fire Department was organized in December of 1914 with all men in town particpating. Two very small stations were built to house the fire fighting equipment, which included two chemical engines. The men were asked to fire barrages with their six shooters if fire broke out in their vicinity during the evening hours in order to alert the volunteers.

In 1928, city officials moved into their new City Hall which included a two bay fire station. This facility served the citizens well for the next 72 years. During its use the fire service evolved, communications went from six shooters to telephones and sirens to two-way radios. Engines went from chemical to motorized pumpers to large volume multi-function apparatus.

In August of 2000, we moved to our new fire station which includes the latest 800 mhz communication system, weather and dispatch computers, a fire sprinkler system throughout, and many other health and safety features incorporated in it.

New Fire Station
Home | Departments | City Online | Local Area Info | Contact Us | Site Map